Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fixing Up Old Window Frames

While our house has newer windows throughout (thankfully!) some of the window frames aren't in the best shape. I think it's because they might have actually re-used the original materials. And, while that's very cool, it also means that there's something else I need to worry about when messing with them: lead paint!

Anyway, one of the window frames at the front of the house was ESPECIALLY bad. Check it out!
While I'd normally get my paint scraper and get all that flaking paint off, I didn't think that was the brightest idea-- especially since I could see layers and layers of old paint underneath. I didn't need to be disturbing any lead paint, especially with little kids and pets in the house! Instead, I got my handy caulking gun out (I love that thing!), loaded it with painter's caulk, and went to town on filling all the little cracks and openings (after wiping down any dust and debris from the sill). I used the caulk to essentially "glue down" the flaking paint, and then to smooth over the top using my fingers. Will it ever look brand new? Probably not, and especially with all those layers of paint! But, the house is almost 200 years old. I think these things are part of its charm!

So I waited for the caulk to dry, then taped the frame off and painted it with the same paint I've been using on my baseboards.
(I also took off the cover of the baseboard heater, planning to paint it in a classic impulsive-me move!) And seriously? It looks pretty darn good! And really, it wasn't that labor-intensive. The room looks so much brighter and cleaner! And, BONUS: sealing all those cracks should keep bugs from getting inside! On to the next project...

No comments:

Post a Comment