Tuesday, September 10, 2013

DIY Pellet Stove Hearth & A Rant About Heating Costs

Now that Labor Day has passed and I've seen a few leaves changing color (NO!!!), it's time to talk about a touchy subject for many people: winter.

When my husband first hinted that his job might be relocated from Southern California to New England, I have to admit-- I was excited! I envisioned snowball fights, icicles sparkling in the morning sun, and sitting inside a cozy house while watching the snow fall outside. I lived a snow-deprived life-- can you tell? :)

It was all lovely and wonderful until we realized our monthly heating bill (oil) during the winter was about a THOUSAND DOLLARS. I am not even kidding! It was obscene! We instantly turned the thermostat down as low as we could tolerate, and used lots of sweaters and blankets. It wasn't exactly the cozy home I had envisioned spending the winter in, but we simply couldn't afford to bleed money like that.

As soon as the ground began to thaw in the spring, we bought a pellet stove. I had never heard about them before our move, but they are fairly common around here! Pellet stoves are high-efficiency, thermostat-controlled stoves that burn wood pellets. Basically, pellets of compressed sawdust from furniture factories and lumber mills. The pellets burn almost completely, creating maximum heat with very little environmental impact. And bags of pellets are cheap, and relatively easy to store (compared to, say, chopped wood. We got a really high-end, powerful stove to heat our entire first floor: the Harman XXV.

When we bought the stove, we were told, also, that we needed to have a hearth for the thing to sit on. It makes sense. Putting a wood-burning appliance on a wood floor is probably not the brightest idea, huh? But the hearth mats they were trying to sell at the store were a) kind of ugly, and b) crazy expensive! We're talking around $300, people. Once again, my inner cheapskate brought out my DIY side. Funny how that happens!

After talking a bit with the guy who came out for the pre-installation visit, I had a plan in place. Really, it was super easy. I bought a piece of cement board, which is fire resistant. I used screws and attached it to a piece of plywood that was the same size. (The size, by the way, depends on the size of your stove, and the minimum hearth requirements on all sides. I added a little bit so that I wouldn't have to cut any tiles!) Then I used tile adhesive and laid down some 12x12" granite tiles (this was the most expensive part of the project... you could easily buy cheaper tiles, but I really liked the black ones!). I put them right next to each other so that I wouldn't have to grout them. And then, because it needed a little extra something, I bought some cheap moulding and attached it to the sides. Voila!
Total cost: Under $100, and it looks nicer than the ones at the store. And as for the stove itself? It's awesome. Not only does it keep our house warm and cozy for much less than we were previously spending, but it's just nice to look at. Win!

1 comment: